Saturday, May 14, 2011

Alvechurch, 8th May


Midlands Open DBA

I seem perpetually apologising for how long it takes to get reports posted up - there has been a lot going on throughout the Spring.

No sooner will I get this DBA Open report up than it will be off to Triples next week for the Northern Cup. I hope to see you all there. We hope you will join in.

This was my first visit to the Midlands Open. I had heard it was good - popular and well attended. I can see why. A very nice venue. Good organisation, and a substantial buffet lunch (all in the entry fee). A bar downstairs, and free coffee/tea and cake all day.


(many of the players consented to having their photo taken!)

Actually, I should move on before everyone catches on.

The Midlands Open, as it says on the tin, is an open competition, though Book 4 is excluded. I understand this is mostly because it avoids the distortion of the Bk 4 Knightly armies where some can dismount (and the inequalities that can throw up). Otherwise, pick what you like and pay the penalties later.

(click on the pictures to see a bigger image)

(scenic action shots from Alvechurch)

(Imperial Romans from different periods slog it out)

(elephants ... and more elephants)


I gave my Abyssinians their first run out since the English Open 3 years ago. Ouch! Did I take a kicking. The Axumites are not only a quick kill army, they are a quick die army ... and guess what that meant.

(Me and my Abyssinians: doing what I do best: getting my general killed repeatedly, then handing out the goodies)

Really, the weak point was the Queen of Sheba, my Elephant General ... She actually fought 4 rounds of combat before rolling higher than 1. Sadly, that also meant the army had lost three games before the lady got some traction. The durability didn't last.

Some more of the armies I saw in use ...


(Hsi-Hsia, mixing it with Tamil Indians)

(Dacian Warbands)

(Off the shelf, but none-the-less attractive baggage from the Dacian army)
(These elegant eastern Mediterraneans were fighting for Carthage - twas ever an army full of mercenaries of many types)

(Polybian Romans - hmm ... I could not dent the legions)

(Eastern Late Romans)

No grumbles from me, of course - hopefully the pictures will tell a story ... lots of nice armies doing business. Plenty of games, and very few drawn. A very enjoyable day out and, as ever, I have learned more of the nuances of DBA.

Here are some winners. I was able to present the trophies as I wasn't a winner.


(junior: Patrick Myers; second: Scott Russell; first: Colin O'Shea; third: Martin Smith; newcomer: Mike)

The event counts towards the Society of Ancients DBA League, of course. The game I lost to Martin was also a Society Championship game.

I will put up a link to the full results when available... Meanwhile, here are some useful links:

SoA DBA League pages
The Society Championship
Fanaticus DBA Pages

If you want to try out DBA, look for the Society banner on Saturday at Triples: you will find us in the competition zone at the back of the bigger hall. I will have some terrain and armies available, so beginners will be very welcome.

No comments: